Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A firm, flat abdomen can be a testament to a person's health and fitness. But if you have loose skin, excess fat, or even stretch marks, what can you do? A tummy tuck in the Austin, TX area can give you the look you can't attain with diet and exercise alone. Dr. Mahlon Kerr and Dr. Amy Bekanich, both rigorously trained and highly skilled plastic surgeons, offer this and other cosmetic procedures designed to help your fitness and vitality shine through.
Are you ready to find out how a tummy tuck can improve your appearance? Request a complimentary consultation online with Dr. Kerr or Dr. Bekanich, or call our office in Round Rock at (512) 244-1444. We serve patients from Austin and neighboring Texas communities like Cedar Park, Killeen, Leander, and Pflugerville.
Many of the patients Dr. Kerr and Dr. Bekanich see for a tummy tuck are women because pregnancy impacts the appearance of the abdomen for most women. Also called abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is one of the most popular procedures included in a Mommy Makeover, which typically incorporates a breast enhancement procedure such as breast augmentation near Austin, Texas. However, men benefit from abdominoplasty as well. It provides a variety of benefits, which include:
- Flattening a bulging tummy
- Eliminating excess stretched out skin
- Repairing abdominal muscles that were separated during pregnancy
- Sculpting the waistline
When you meet with Dr. Kerr or Dr. Bekanich for your consultation, he or she will ask you to describe the improvements you desire. Your doctor will explain your options and give you plenty of time to ask questions.
Every patient has their own unique anatomy and aesthetic goals, so Dr. Kerr and Dr. Bekanich offer the following variations of the tummy tuck, which can be customized to the individual:
- Complete tummy tuck restores the appearance of the entire abdomen from the lower ribcage down to the pubic bone. This procedure provides comprehensive improvements with an incision that typically spans from hip to hip, but can usually be concealed by underwear or swimsuits. Excess fat and skin is removed, abdominal muscles are rejoined, and the belly button is repositioned.
- Mini tummy tuck improves the abdomen below the belly button. This minimally invasive procedure is appropriate for patients who have just a little excess fat and skin, and do not need their abdominal muscles repaired. For this variation, the belly button remains in place.
What to Expect
Dr. Kerr and Dr. Bekanich perform tummy tuck surgery in the safety of a hospital setting either as an outpatient procedure or with an optional overnight stay. They use general anesthesia so you will sleep through the surgery. In addition to surgically removing areas of fat and excess skin, your doctor can use liposuction to sculpt the abdomen, hips, and thighs, if desired.
After abdominoplasty, you will likely be thrilled to have a flat abdomen right away. Keep in mind, however, that you will need to avoid positions that place strain on the treated area during the recovery period. Most patients are ready to resume light activity within 10 to 15 days; however, strenuous exercise should be avoided for at least 6 weeks following a tummy tuck.