CoolSculpting is one of our Austin and Round Rock offices’ most popular treatments because it offers a powerful, effective way to slim stubborn fat deposits without surgery. The treatment seems deceptively simple: freeze targeted fat cells to kill them off so the body can flush them away naturally. Because the process seems so simple, some people believe they can create the same results at home by strapping ice packs onto their stubborn fat bulges and waiting for the slimming results to take shape. Unfortunately, this approach is typically ineffective at best and harmful at worst.
In this blog post, I’d like to discuss why CoolSculpting is one of the many cosmetic treatments you should always trust to the professionals.
How Does CoolSculpting Work?
CoolSculpting destroys fat through a process called cryolipolysis. When fat cells are chilled to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time, they die off and are naturally metabolized by the body. While weight loss slims your body by shrinking the size of fat cells, CoolSculpting removes them from the body altogether. It is most helpful for minimizing areas where you are naturally predisposed to carry excess fat, often in the abdomen, thighs, upper arms, and under the chin.
What Is DIY CoolSculpting?
DIY CoolSculpting is a dangerous trend that involves applying ice packs or taking ice baths in an attempt to freeze fat cells at home. Unfortunately, this oversimplified approach to CoolSculpting just won’t work, and will likely harm your skin.
Why Doesn’t DIY CoolSculpting Work?
Using ice to cool down your fat is not an effective way to induce cryolipolysis for a few reasons:
- Applying ice directly to your skin is a recipe for frostbite. Exposing your skin to very low temperatures without medical supervision can cause burns and even tissue necrosis.
- Using slightly warmer ice to avoid skin damage will only result in the ice melting before fat cells become cold.
- Because ice cools from a single superficial direction, it can’t effectively surround fat cells, which is necessary for lowering them to the required temperature.
- Cryolipolysis requires fat cells to be at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time. This is very difficult to achieve outside of a medical setting.
Why Is Professional CoolSculpting Worth It?
The CoolSculpting device is FDA-cleared for inducing cryolipolysis without harming your skin. It achieves this in a few ways:
- By suctioning fat into the applicator, the device allows for multidirectional cooling that surrounds targeted fat cells for more effective treatment.
- The device delivers precisely timed and monitored cooling to successfully destroy fat cells without damaging the skin.
- A gel pad applied to the treatment site further protects the skin from any harm.
- Our providers are CoolSculpting University-trained, so they know how to safely create excellent results.
Maybe the most convincing reason to trust your CoolSculpting treatment to the professionals? You’ll be hard-pressed to find a track record of success with DIY CoolSculpting. With true, professionally administered CoolSculpting, however, the results are proven and abundant. This is the reason it continues to be one of the most popular cosmetic treatments at our practice and across the country.
Ready to learn more about how CoolSculpting at Synergy MedSpa can help you look and feel your best? Contact us online or call (512) 244-1439 (Austin) or (512) 244-1444 (Round Rock) to schedule an appointment.